We’re Here For Health – You Can Be Too
As NSW’s leading LGBTI health organisation, we work hard to provide a range of programs and services that help address many of the health issues that are experienced by our community.
The information and services we provide – such as counselling, substance support, anti-violence initiatives and inclusion programs – as well as advocacy and research we undertake, all help to improve the health and wellbeing of LGBTI people and their families.
But much of this work is not financially supported by government and so we rely on people just like you who care about the health of our community to make a contribution.
Over 500,000 LGBTI people live in NSW and we want them to experience much better health outcomes than many of them currently do. Consider the following:
- LGBT Australians are up to 14 times more likely to attempt suicide than people in the general community, and up to one third of LGBT Australians experience major depressive episodes, compared with just 7% of people in the general community.
- LGBT Australians use alcohol and drugs at significantly higher rates than the general community, especially tobacco and illicit drugs.
- About one third of LGBT Australians experience domestic violence.
- Up to 85% of LGBTI Australians have experienced discrimination and exclusion in the places where they live, work, study and play.
The information and services we provide – such as counselling, substance support, anti-violence initiatives and inclusion programs – as well as the advocacy and research we undertake, all help improve the health of LGBTI people and their families. The problem is that much of this work is not supported financially by government and so we rely on money we raise from people who care about the health of their community.
Make A Difference
Your donation of just $25 a month over 12 months will help us care for our community in lots of ways. Here are just a few:
- Help 1 financially disadvantaged LGBTI person receive 12 sessions with an ACON counsellor
- Help 2 people seriously affected by HIV receive practical assistance from volunteers in their homes to maintain independent living and quality of life
- Help us provide vital support and advocacy for survivors of homophobic and transphobic violence
- Help us promote empathy, compassion and acceptance through our highly effective LGBTI inclusion programs
You can choose to give more or less, depending on your circumstances, and you can be a regular giver or make a one off donation. Any support you can provide will be gratefully accepted, and all donations over $2 are tax deductible.