Does your service provide support to people experiencing or using domestic and family violence (DFV)?
Are you interested in FREE training and consultancy support to ensure you are providing a best practice, inclusive service to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) community?
ACON and the Inner West Council are seeking expressions of interest from organisations who want to improve the way they work with the LGBTIQ community.
Watch this short film summarising the pilot for this project which took place between ACON and WAGEC in 2017 – 2018
LGBTIQ people are as likely as women in the general population to experience DFV, yet evidence shows that when LGBTIQ people experience DFV, they are unlikely to access mainstream services. Those who do access mainstream services tell us that the services often don’t meet their needs.
What is on offer?
The Inner West Council is funding a partnership project between one service in the Inner West LGA and ACON: NSW’s leading LGBTIQ specialist service for domestic and family violence in LGBTIQ relationships.
This package includes free consultation with ACON including;
- Whole of service review,
- Two full days of training for all staff of the service,
- Assistance with policy and procedural development,
- Guidance with intake and assessment processes, and
- Resource development
The intention is to work together to ensure that the whole service is better equipped to meet LGBTIQ people’s particular needs.
Through this partnership your service will be able to:
- Ensure staff are provided with appropriate training and ongoing support in the delivery of good practice domestic violence services for LGBTIQ people in relationships.
- Work with ACON to review all policy, procedures and guidelines, from intake to exit, to ensure that the unique needs of the LGBTIQ community are met. There will be a particular focus on safety, inclusive language and appropriate engagement.
- Establish strong, stable, sustainable referrals to enhance availability of support services for LGBTIQ communities.
- Enhance your data collection methods to include best practice gender and sexuality indicators. Capturing the number of LGBTIQ clients presenting and the reasons for accessing services. This is vital for the development of appropriate and sensitive approaches to LGBTIQ DFV and contributing to the overall evidence base.
The Inner West Council operates across the areas previously governed by the former Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville Councils.
For a map of the Inner West Council area, please Click Here
In order to apply for this capacity building project, please complete the application form below and SUBMIT by Friday 21 December.
For questions please contact:
Kai from ACON on 9206 2091 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarah from Inner West council on 9392 5813 or Sarah.email@example.com